Thursday, February 27, 2014

Doodlebug Tulips

Hey everyone!! I don't know about you, but I have Spring FEVER! I cannot wait until spring arrives... The other day I was thinking to myself that it might lift some of the "winter blues" if I had some fresh spring flowers in my kitchen. The I realized that what would life my spirits even more, was glittery spring flowers. Cue Doodlebug sugar coated cardstock...


I picked up some small, cheap clay pots from Michaels and used regular acrylic paint to give them some great color.



The great thing about this project is that it is super easy to let your little ones help out! My girls actually painted these for me while I worked on cutting the tulips!

Next I added a chunk of floral foam in the bottom of each pot to hold the flower then added a strip of washi tape around the top of the pot. On top of the washi I wrapped twine around the pot (adhered the ends with a small dab of hot glue) and added a bow and a pretty Doodlebug button over top.



Using my Silhouette Cameo and a tulip cutting file from SVG Cutting Files, I cut out three tulips from three colors of sugar coated cardstock. (NOTE: In order to cut through the cardstock I had to make sure I had 'Glitter Paper' selected and set my blade depth to 4)

To keep my tulips from looking 'flat' I adhered the layers together using foam stickers.


Using a glue gun I added a "stem - green pixie - to the tulip. The foam in the bottom of the pots works great to poke the pixie into and keeps the flowers upright.

Shredded green paper worked great as 'grass' and covered up the foam perfectly! My final touch was one of my favorite Doodlepops - a glittery little blue bird.



I hope you enjoyed this little taste of spring - Doodlebug style!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet those flowers and pots really brighten up your kitchen! What a great idea. I can't wait for spring, either. I did see a robin a couple days ago!!

Great project!
Evelyn

scraphappenswithrhonda said...

what a cute idea so pretty

Adriana M said...

They are really cute Candace. Thanks for the tutorial. If you don't mind the question, what size did you cut the tulips? Thanks!